Friday, January 25, 2013

The Priviledge of Delight

Mercies are new each morning.  How true I find that to be.  Each morning I awake with a plan for the day.  Ready to take on the challenges and tasks that lay before me.  The cares of yesterday are
dim and the possibilities of what the day may bring give me hope.
Yet, how quickly those thoughts seem to faulter.  The reality of life hits once again.  Kids to get ready, list of things to do, the chaos of life.  Many days I see my spirits going down quickly with the worries of life.
How easily I can fall into self-pity and despair.

Matthew Henry in his commentary on Phillipians 4: 4 writes "Delight thyself in the Lord (Psalm 37:4) in the multitude of our thoughts within us (grievous and afflicting thoughts) His comfort delights our soul (Psalm 94:19) and our meditation of Him is sweet (Psalm 104:34). Observe it is our duty and priviledge to rejoice in God, and to rejoice in Him always; at all times; in all conditions..."

This is my heart's desire.  To delight in the one who promises to help me do all things through Him who gives me strength (Phillipians 4:13).  In Him who delights in me (Zephaniah 3:17) despite all of my weaknesses.  To remain in the joy of the Lord despite my circumstances of the day.

So, this afternoon, I delighted and rejoiced in Him.  While going about my day and interacting with those around me.  I asked Him to help me remember who He is and who I am in Him. When I started to remember all the things I am inadequate in, I brought them in prayer and instead started focusing on who He is.  As I delight in Him, those cares start to grow dim and the strength needed to accomplish what is set before me returns.  As the song Turn Your Eyes Upon Jesus says, "And the things of earth will grow strangly dim, in the light of His glory and grace". 
Thank you Lord for your amazing grace and the priviledge you have given me to delight in you!  Through my failures, help me remember that your strength is made perfect in my weakness. Help me to delight in You!

No comments:

Post a Comment